Monday, April 2, 2007

How the maze begins….

This week I have been putting some thought into how my maze will introduce itself to the user. The best idea which has been really exciting me as of late is having each of the light bulbs swinging/dangling down from above (almost simular to dangling a cat toy on some string to entertain your pus-pus ;P). As each light bulb (three in total) appe
ars, the room will become better visible. I got this idea after playing around with the glow tool in Photoshop – it’s very effective and makes a really cool glow almost simular to a Star Wars lightsaber. This glow effect has also helped me decide further on the overall composition of my website…

In my last blog I was undecided over what colours I was going to do the maze in – White drawing on black or black drawing on white – I have put much thought on this and have decided to go black on white. This is because I reckon I can better implement a glow effect with a white background as opposed to a black one. After experimenting with the glow effects I’ve found that it looks better if it’s made more subtle in a drawing – having a high contrast with a glow effect makes it look fake and crappy (kind of like a flashing sign in font of a strip club or something…). So the white/brighter background is going to stay.

glow-lights.jpg

Subtle… FAKE!!!

This is where I say less is more, subtle is better J plus, the glow effect on the left brings a slightly more homely/sensitive feel to my maze, so I’ll definitely stick with it J J

Backgrounds!

So, now that I’ve decided on the lighter background I need to start looking at textures that would make good backdrops for the maze. Ultimately there is only one background through the whole maze (the room) so I have to work extra hard on this part because it is what the viewer will be seeing all the time (* Sarah freaks out*). These are some textures I have been creating out the back…


I’ve been playing around with splatters. I feel that having a messy drawing over messy paper will be perfect for me because I’m a very messy person – thus, the room will say something about me -

Sarah = mess

So, the messier the paper, the better. I’m actually thinking of having a collage of rubbish stuck everywhere on the background too.

No comments: