Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Project ONE Research - Room [_]

For my project the maze will be a room. Within this room there will be three light bulbs suspended from the ceiling all lit up (at first). The objective is to click the light bulbs and submerging the room in darkness and then light up once again. The maze will be to switch on the correct lights to find the three items which relate to me. So here’s the current plan:

9 rooms – these will be for the maze to get lost in

3 rooms – have an object inside them relating to me

12 rooms – total


Three object/room brainstorm:

For the objects relating to me I still haven’t decided what these will be however, I have some possibilities…

1) For one of the items, I’m thinking of maybe having a television which produces random images or static. This way I can incorporate some of my awesome new Adobe After Effects skills and have an excuse to create something unusial and exciting. The TV may have either static, animations, weird noises, me drawing or all of the above. This is going to be an awesome item if I go ahead and make it.

2) Having an old grammar phone with DaDa language spewing out of it – this would be a personality item which displays my ‘occassional loudness’ :P

3) I could have maybe four items relating to each of my personality types in that online test (INFP = Interverted,

4) A canvas with a picture drawing it’s self – my passion to draw…

5) A tv with a CPA (Certified Practicing Accountants) commercial and an art movie playing – fighting each other to be on the tv longer – I’m currently struggling with the decision to stay in art or become an accountant – this would be a really great item for future ambitions’.

6) Have a room full of name brands of food, products, generic and imitation brands, foreign language stuff, lolly wrappers – any logo stuff which looks kinda retro, gimmicky, cute – the kinda stuff I like – If I did this I would have the whole room just completely covered in wrappers on the walls, window, ceiling, floor – everywhere!

7) Pictures of things I’ve drawn/enjoy drawing – at the moment I’ve been developing a huge addiction to drawing skeletons – any type of skeletons, dinosaurs, humans, exoskeletons – they’re really exciting me at the moment for some reason…. I think I like the idea that every thing evolves/grows off the skeleton and it just fits inside our bodies (and animals’ bodies) so perfectly and balanced…

Even though this is turning into a great list of possibilities I have one general rule for these personal/personality items that I’ll eventually choose – they all need to have a common theme – if they’re toooooooo random then my point may be lost in the work. Oh, I’m all open to random-ness like having a lamp, sock, and live brain as the three objects, but I would only choose those objects if they could be linked some how – eg. Items I like to sleep in bed with :p. See, having a simple explanation like this to join them together brings the art piece alive in my opinion and displaying this at the end of journeying the maze would be a great way to finish it of I think (e.g. physically showing all the objects on a bed snuggling under bed covers.)

- So far I think I have two categories I’m subconsciously catagorising stuff into here (which I just realized L) They are things I like and things which describe me. I think I should open myself more broadly, maybe list things I hate, or places I go most often, or obscure things like the t-shirt I wear most, or the colour I paint my nails – things like this. I think their semi-good themes…

Nine Room Brainstorm:

All of the above is a massive brainstorm on what 3 or 4 items I could have scattered in my maze, but what about all the other nine rooms? I’m still undecided if I want to make these nine rooms all the same (the perks being, less work so more time for designing the main room and making it look really good) or having some landmarks in different rooms for example:

- scratched/graffitied walls

- different weather outside the window ß This could work in both scnaroes and sounds like a GREAT idea! :D

- Some lamps/candels instead of light bulbs ß another fantaz-mic idea!

- Hidden compartments?

- New holes in walls/floor?

- CREEPY NOISES!!!! ß why am I always addicted to scary/creepy stuff? These wouldn't just be normal random noises, they would have meaning (e.g. me saying how to navigate yourself out of my maze but having the audio flipped so i'm saying it backwards ^.^)


The Clicky Lights:

To navigate my maze clicking on one of three lights suspended from the ceiling will determine the user’s fate. As said earlier, whenever a light is clicked all three will turn off and turn on again moving the user to another room – and the process will continue until they find an item/’special’ room ;p. Here are some concepts…

I know I want them drawn like this because I really enjoy seeing messy two-year-old drawings on expensive-looking monitors – This is honestly not a plea to avoid work! :P This is the overall style I want to see my maze in. At the moment though I’m in a real dilemma as to whether I want everything with a black or white background – sometimes I lean towards one, then the other… (NEWS FLASH IDEA!!: Have ‘9 maze rooms’ with black background and ‘3 special rooms’ with white background <-- Sarah will consider this…) Either way, I have to decide what combination best suites me…

And with the lights, I still have a few ideas on what I want them to look like. I have thought of having lamps and other types of lights instead of the common basic light bulb on a string but I feel these give off a nice surreal type of feeling. As another one of my quirks I’m attracted to slightly random objects – I also find antiques fascinating – here were some objects I doodled this week – I’m unsure as to whether I’ll scatter them through out my maze or not (maybe make a scavenger hunt out of it?

Oooh, and at the moment, my favorite light bulb styles’ are #’s 2, 4 and 6. I may try testing with a few more mediums and textures until I've found an overall style I want the maze to be in...

QUESTIONS:

(Just incase this idea is looking a little too random at the moment…)

Why the dusty drawing style if I can do really high-grade drawings? (In my opinion :P)

As said earlier, I like the idea of seeing low quality images on stereotyped ‘advanced technology computers’. It just seems kind of ironic to me that although technology is progressing faster and faster (as though some unsaid progress must go on or the world will collapse on itself) some things don’t have to become ‘better’ or progress futher – they can just stay as they are. This was also an image which heavily inspired me to do something like this:


(and yes, it’s my current desktop wallpaper background thing :P) < – hey, I like honesty ;)

Why room?

This project has to be a very personal one. It will depict how we see ourselves in the world and to do this we need to stand back and get personal. The bedroom is an example of this. Our bedroom – or where ever we live or sleep – has lots of tell-tale signs of what kind of person we are. For example, a messy room may represent an unorganized person. (OR DOES IT!? lol). I feel by presenting a maze in a room I can channel aspects of my own room into it and better associate the maze with my personality (I will stick up some images of my room for next post). Your room is like your internet avatar image – a personalisation of you! (That’s what I like to think anyways.)

Will there be any other additions – or is this it?

NoooO! There will be HEAPS more put into this project! I have yet to scratch the surface. I want to have lots of small animations in this piece and I want the rooms to be textured (the next post will be full of texture research!) and I reallllly want my suspended light bulbs to jiggle slightly when the mouse rolls-over them (detail rawks!). I have heaps of other things I need to consider and want to add as well but I think they’ll be better explained in future posts…

Other images and works to link my methods to my madness...

A page of notes - link

An artwork by me in a slightly simular style into what I'm thinking of (note the line work) - Link

A subtle image on my randomness for an online portfolio I made last year. (You can see a lightbulb in it and lots of the textures there are what I love too! (notice the Japanese newsprint in there? *huggles* I love my website! - now to physically upload it... -_- ) - Link


Many hopes this is looking like research and not random babble!



No comments: